Oley Offers New Camp Scholarship–Apply Now!
The $1,000 camp scholarship sponsored by Fresenius Kabi, USA was created to provide youth on home parenteral and/or enteral nutrition (HPEN) the chance to experience summer camp, building self-confidence, independence, courage, and creativity in a safe environment. Applications are now being accepted.
Camp Scholarship Criteria:
· Home parenteral and/or enteral (HPEN) consumer aged 7–18
· Applicant must qualify for a camp that provides appropriate medical support for an HPEN consumer
· Consumers who have not been able to attend camp in the past will be given first consideration
Note: Up to five scholarships will be awarded each year, as long as funding is available. The scholarship will be offered as a reimbursement to help cover travel expenses (i.e., airfare/mileage, lodging, and food) AFTER travel has been completed and receipts for travel expenses submitted. Camper will be required to submit a photo or short statement that reflects their camp experience, with permission for Oley to use the photo or statement in Oley publications and promotional materials.
|| Thank you Fresenius Kabi, USA for your Sponsorship!
Oley Tim Weaver Camp Scholarship
Applicant must provide the following material:
1. Cover letter with name, address, daytime phone, email, age, diagnosis, HPN and/or HEN, years on therapy.
2. An original essay, video or song describing why attending summer camp would be a meaningful experience for them and how it would make a difference in their life
3. A letter of recommendation from a teacher, family member, or community member detailing how the youth will benefit from the summer camp opportunity.
4. A letter from a clinician or homecare company reflecting the youth’s need for home parenteral or enteral therapy.
Send application materials to:
Oley Tim Weaver Camp Scholarship
c/o The Oley Foundation
43 New Scotland Ave., MC 28,
Albany Medical Center,
Albany NY 12208
Fax (518) 262-5528
OR Fill Out Application Form Below
CALL (508)262-5079 / (800)776-6539
What does the scholarship cover?
The scholarship will cover travel expenses (i.e., food, lodging, and mileage/transportation) incurred up to $1,000.
When is the scholarship issued?
Scholarship will be offered as a reimbursement. Receipts should be submitted after travel has been completed.
How are the scholarships awarded?
Five scholarships are awarded by committee reviews of the applicant’s essay/video/song and supporting documentation.
Is there a list of camps available?
The Oley Foundation has a list of summer camps that offer programs for children on HPEN. However, you can check out the link seriousfunnetwork.org for a more complete list of camps for children with serious illnesses.
If the scholarship is granted but my child has a medical emergency and cannot attend camp, can they use the scholarship the following year?
No. They would be encouraged to reapply the following year.
Does the scholarship cover family retreat weekends or only summer camp?
The scholarship can be applied to summer camp only.
Is there a specific time during the summer that my child has to attend camp?
No. Many camps have different weeks assigned for specific medical conditions during the summer. Please review the camp schedules located on the camp websites to determine the medical conditions and dates they are able to accommodate.
What kind of medical care do the campers receive?
Many of the camps provide 24-hour medical supervision by paid and volunteers physicians however it is best to check the camps website for a more detailed description of care.
What activities are offered at camp?
Each camp will have a variety of activities which may include but not limited to: fishing, boating, camping, swimming, arts and crafts, performing arts, group games, dancing and singing.
Online Application Form