Dressing/Site Care Ideas
Note that the information provided here is designed to support, not replace, the relationship between the HPEN consumer and his or her physician. All issues, ideas, suggestions, etc. should be discussed with your health care provider prior to use. Medical information is reviewed by clinicians in a relevant field, but inclusion here does not imply endorsement by the Oley Foundation.
Many of these ideas were sent to us by Oley members. Where applicable, click on “member advice” to read the original suggestion.
Do you have another approach or product that works for you? Send your ideas to Lisa Metzger, firstname.lastname@example.org or The Oley Foundation, 214 Hun Memorial, MC-28, Albany Medical Center, Albany, NY 12208. We’d love to expand this useful resource.
- Bag Balm®: Oley Foundation’s Medical & Research Director, Dr. Howard, generally suggests for her patients a less snug G-tube (i.e., the G-tube standing up 1 cm when the patient is lying down) and Bag Balm® to keep the exit site as comfortable as possible.
- Biopatch™: an antimicrobial dressing with chlorhexidine gluconate. Click here for more information.
- “Butt Paste”: (member advice); a recipe used for stoma site skin irritation.
- Critic-Aid® Clear & Critic-Aid® Skin Paste: (member advice); moisture barrier that helps to heal and prevent skin irritation. For more information, click here.
- Exu-Dry Wound Dressing & Hollister Drain Tube Attachment Device: (member advice)
- Marathon™ Liquid Skin Protectant: (member advice); reacts with moisture on the skin to form a strong protective barrier. Click here for more information.
- Mepilex® Lite: (member advice); a soft and comfortable foam dressing with low risk of skin allergy/irritation used to absorb site leakage.
- Oil of Olay Ultra Moisturizing Body Wash: (member advice); used to gently cleanse skin around stoma site. Available for purchase at most drugstores or www.olay.com.
- OptiLock™ Dressing: (member advice); a non-adhesive wound dressing that provides site protection and absorbs intestinal leakage.
- Triple Antibiotic Plus Cream: (member advice); helps reduce pain and redness when applied. Available in most local drugstores/pharmacies.